Bluenose race day is coming and I am so excited! I am excited to see a new-to-me race environment and experience all that comes with it. I am excited to be running with my BFF Michelle, her husband Yann and my friend, Vanessa, who is flying in from Labrador for the race. I think that Michelle and I could push each other to kick out some awesome times and Yann will be our steady pace keeper so we don’t get ahead of ourselves. I am over the moon excited for Vanessa to be running her first 10 KM! I can’t wait to see her face at the finish line!
I am hoping to meet some of the running peeps I am getting to know on social media. I love reading all your stories about running and life. I am learning a lot from you all and get comfort in knowing that others are sharing my experiences.
Between now and the start line, there’s some work to do. The excitement is already messing with my sleep so I need to get that under control. I think deciding on a goal or goals may help get things settled down in my mind but…
After my last long run, my previously established race goals needed some adjusting. I had my mind set for weeks on aiming of a wide range of 1:05 to 1:10 race time but after finishing a really fun 10 KM at 1:07 (including time stopped at red lights), that goal just wasn’t cutting it. Here’s where the problem lays though. I don’t have enough race experience at this length to know what a good goal would be for me right now! My only other 10 km a couple years ago had a 1:03 finish. Am I aiming for a PR at this race? Is it too ambitious to put an under 60 finish on my radar? Do I set different goals based on what the weather is that day? Eeek! I don’t know what to do! Here’s what I DO know about what I want and don’t want to happen:
- I would like to finished uninjured
- I would like to have an amazing experience
- I don’t want to finish and realize I still have tons of gas in the tank. I tend to run with fear of running out of energy and then regret not giving more once the race is done. I want to give the race my all.
- I would like to stop wasting time and energy the week stressing over this.
- I would like to find a laundry fairy that magically waves her wand and makes the laundry pile disappear. Although, I’m sure if there is one, whoever has found her is holding her captive and not sharing.
So while I wait for the solution to come to me, I’m going to TRY to focus on the awesomeness the upcoming weekend has in store (regardless of what the clock says when I cross the finish line) and I’m going to get this house back in shape, starting with the laundry pile. However, if any runners who have found this confused and nervous gal have advice or suggestions on setting a time goal for this weekend, it will be welcomed with open arms!
Happy Bluenose Week Everyone!!
Countdown to Races:
- 5 days until 10 km at Blue Nose Marathon!!!!
- 46 days until 10 km at Salmon Festival
- A bunch of days to Color Run 5 km
- 122 days until 5 km at Maritime Race Weekend
- 123 days until 21.1 km at Maritime Race Weekend